Sunday, September 6, 2009

Colorado Balloon Classic

This weekend I took Eric and Charles to the Colorado Balloon Classic. It's the largest hot air balloon festival in Colorado. I think I read that it has been going on since 1977. I heard on the news that there are 83 balloons there this year. Every Labor Day weekend there is an early ascension in the morning and the balloon glow in the evening. We missed the early ascension Saturday morning. By the time we arrived there was only one balloon left that was giving rides to kids with disabilities. We were lucky enough to see five parachuters from the Air Force Academy though. The pictures of the sky with trails of white or yellow smoke are the parachuters. We watched the plane circle above us and then saw the five of them jump. Later that evening we went back for the balloon glow. There weren't as many balloons in the evening. It is so awesome to see the balloons at night. We found a booth that sold rubber band shooters. Of course the boys had to have one. Eric brought his birthday money to buy his own. We found a place on the grass without too many people around so they boys could try out their new favorite toys. It wasn't long before we had to move back because there was a balloon being set up right in front of us. They are huge! It was exciting to see them being inflated and then to see them glow in the night sky was amazing. Eric and Charles loved the Energizer Bunny balloon. It was so huge. My picture is a little blurry but you cant tell it's the bunny. If you haven't been before I recommend it, just get there early because parking is a nightmare.

No comments:

About Me

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
.

Followers